The origin of North United Methodist Church dates back to the mid-1800s when a Methodist circuit rider began preaching to six families in a settlement of farmers known as Sugar Grove, which later became Mapleton.
As the congregation grew they moved from a log house to a log schoolhouse, and then erected a small church building on 38th Street between Illinois and Meridian Streets – just 50 feet from the current building. This church was known as Mapleton Methodist Episcopal Church.
In the 1920s eight founders and the bishop had a vision of a new Methodist church and building. In 1925 ground was broken on the church building. During this time Mapleton Methodist Episcopal Church and North Church merged. North Church was dedicated on May 10, 1931. In 1951 the education wing was completed and in 1962 the courtyard was finished.
Charles Hopson, one of America’s foremost church architects, designed the building in an English Gothic style. It has 12 stained-glass windows representing the 12 apostles. The Holt organ was installed and designed by the Kimball Company.
To learn more about the history of North Church: